The 18th Century
The Gothic church proceeded slowly towards ruin for over 200 years after the Reformation; we can read of purchases and refurbishments. But by 1786 the fabric was so decayed that only demolition and rebuilding would serve.
The period had produced some handsome furnishings, which survive: on the outside of the tower, the popular quarterjacks, (James Paty's Roman soldiers of 1728, who ring their quarter-
The humble little stone font is from the destroyed church of Saint Ewen on the opposite side of Broad Street; so is the banner, now in a case over the North East vestry door, well embroidered c. 1740 but now restored, of the Guild of Merchant Taylors, with their device of Saint John Baptist's head in the middle. And the small bell from the tower of Saint Ewen’s church, caste by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucestershire in 1698, and formerly hung in Portland Wesleyan chapel.
Four hatchments (those rather glum diamond -
|The 18th Century|
|The Present Church|
|Furniture & Decoration|
|Bell History & Details|
|The Bell Ringers|