The Furniture and Decoration
The furniture designed with the church is wholly worthy of it, and a testimony to local craftsmen. The lovely demi-
The more modern furnishings and decoration are of less interest. The windows contain figures, mainly in gold drapery, with a surround of untinted glass, so that they exclude little light; the North side has, from West to East. the Four Evangelists with their symbols of man, lion, ox and eagle: the South side (all replaced after war damage) has, from East to West, Saint Michael, Saint Peter, Saint Katherine and Saint Margaret: and the East wall shows Saint Thomas the Apostle, the Risen Christ and Saint Ewen: the more colourful little window lights the domed baptistry were added in 1898.
The statues on the Victorian reredos, by Henry Williams, are of the Crucifixion and Saint John Baptist and Saint Ewen (EwenlOuen/Owenl Audoen), Bishop of Rouen, and the four heads that surround it are of the four Latin Fathers. Saint Ambrose, Saint Augustine, Saint Gregory and Saint Jerome.
The pictures on the walls are an indifferent lot -
The nineteen wall monuments, mostly under the tower, from the old and new churches and Saint Ewen, are interesting for their coloured heraldry and many recall members of the great Tyndall family of Royal Fort House, but the only distinguished one is James Paty's monument of 1772 to Thomas Holmes, of a woman seated and holding an urn.
Two excellent watercolours by A. C. Fare R.W.A., of 1927 and 1928, on the West wall, showing South-
The greatest single treasure of the church, now in the vestry, is an importation from a less fortunate building, the bombed Saint Mary-
Adapted By Dr. Martin J Crossley Evansfrom the original work of Dr. Arthur Basil Cottle F.S.A (1917-
|The 18th Century|
|The Present Church|
|Furniture & Decoration|
|Bell History & Details|
|The Bell Ringers|